Monday, February 25, 2008

Yuyuan Gardens

This kid moved in next door to me named Howie. He's a little more adventurous than my previous crew. He's from Austrailia and speaks perfect Chinese. This is great for me because he knew where to go in China and how to order what food. We the metro to the Yuyuan Gardens. There was a bazarre where lots of tourists go and the locals try to sell you things at 5x the price. Still a steal. If I was still going by US dollars, we could both walk away making out like bandits, both feeling like we'd ripped off the others. The gardens themselves are Ming Dynasty acrchitecture (Thank you Howie). In the center of the complex, there is a teahouse on stilts in the middle of a pond. It has 2 zigzag bridges leading up to it because demons can't turn corners. Ok Time out:

A lot of the anciant buildings had doors that opened like a foot above the ground leaving something you had to step over to get in. This is because demons cannot lift their legs. Some methods of feng shui involve octagonal mirrors to ward off evil demons because aparently they cannot see their own face or something. So we're looking at something that cannot turn corners, lift it's legs or see it's own face. I don't know if anyone saw the Bruce Lee biographical movie, but that demon kicked ass. It used to give me nightmares as a kid, and it definitely turned corners. But I digress.

The gardens were beautiful. I took lots of pictures. After we left, we walked through the old city and the slums, managed to find our way back to the Bund again, I finally got to walk the prominade (that I didn't know existed) between the Bund and People's Square that I missed the first time due to my lack of directional capabilities and the Tai girls' laziness. It lit up like Las Vegas. When we got back to the Square, we took the metro back home. When I got home I watched Alians vs. Preditor 2. That's a shit movie. I paid a dollar for it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

can demons strafe side to side if they can't turn corners?...

Anonymous said...

GABE! i just read ALL your posts right now hahaha. Seems like you're having a hard time.

By the way you should ask Howie about Chinese vampires, who by the way hop to get around (Therefore eliminating the need for the gap on the bottom maybe?) I'm not too sure myself.

Glad you're having a blast man. Oh and which camera did you decide to get because if you chose the one Scott suggested you to get, you just slapped me in the face.

;kmnh said...

I don't remember suggesting a camera, but if I did, its definitely the one you want to get .