Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Karaoke at Xu Jia Hui

So the next morning, we woke up and went out for breakfast. We got this thing which was like an egg pie/pancake with bbq sauce (I think) and a big squishy noodle, or what seemed like fried dough in the middle. All Wrapped up and folded in half. It was the size of a burrito and it cost 2 yuan or a little more then $0.25. Then we picked up3 of Lances friens, went to a place called Xu Jia Hui which is kinda like Times Square except much bigger. Very commercial. There are like 10 shopping malls on one street corner. Google it for an image. The mall we went to was the Epcot-looking thing. So we go to this Karaoke place, but the way they do it here is you go in your own private room, kinda like the back room at a strip club (Mom and Dad, I mean that entirely from what I've heard from my friends). After 3 hours of karaoke, my CHinese language skills went way up and I had enough. We ate at this fast food place, which was still awesome for me cuz Chinese fast food is still an experience. One kid was good with numbers so I wrote 33 digits on a piece of paper, he looked at it for 120 seconds, and was able to recite them back to me, forwards, and backwards. Not to sound stereotypical, but I guess it's true what they say... BTW, Andrea, you were right about Shanghai-ese. They actually do speak that here. I thought you were just effing with me. And J Chan, thanks for the tip that you unknowingly gave me about how to keep a digital camera. And you were right about Chinese people eating a lot of spam. Scott, I think I figured out that smell you were talking about. It's kinda of like a mixture of fried food and garbage. Yummy! Fried garbage. There are a few tones of some other stuff in there as well. I'll let you know as my nose gets a little more trained. I had another early night sunday night. Still Jet lagged...

No comments: