Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Week Begins

Monday came and I finally got the chance to use the internet. It was also Brutha Emil B's birthday, so Happy birthday B! I only have internet in this place that is only opened on the weekdays from 12-9. Updating my blog is tough because blogs are illegal in China. I have to go to an anonymous web proxy to bypass the Chinese firewall. It's all very technical. Anyway, I met a guy named David from England. He has lived here for a year and he showed me how to buy a cell phone. Sweet. I still don't know the number, but when I get other people's I just call them and they'll get mine. I'm going to get a bike soon. They cost like $20 new. I also had registration today. So I'm actually a student! Things are starting to settle in for me, A LITTLE. It's still very frustrating though because the concept of customer service is an American thing. The only information I get is what I ask for and it's very hard getting in touch with the right people to ask. I also still have no idea where I am. I think I'm In Shanghai, but it's possible that I'm in a suburb. I got a roomate and his name is Wookhyun Jeong. Is he a relative of your's A Hae? He's from Korea. D, I'm sorry you've been replaced. Actually he doesn't speak English, and he won't let me call him W or Dubbs. Well actually maybe he will I haven't really asked him. Since neither of us speak each other's language, we both try to speak Chinese together. Both of our Chinese is pretty shotty, so it's pretty hard, but I talk with my hands and he's got one of those electronic communicators. All in all, he's a really awesome kid. I have so much more to write, but I told Wookie that I'd go out to dinner with him so more later. Oh and BTW, the doors in this room are glass and very clean. A few minutes, ago, I saw a Japanese kid walk into them. It was the funniest and saddest thing I ever saw in my life.

4 comments:

Avi1231 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Avi1231 said...

Just read all of your posts so far Gabe. Sounds like you're having an awesome time. I have a feeling it's gonna be a lot like that when I first get to Israel minus the spitting food refuse on the table :) Hope your first couple days of classes have gone well! Talk to you soon.

PS- My buddy Yang who lives there now tells me you can't access Wikipedia, that true?

Andrew Levine said...

I too have just read all of your blogs. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself for the most part less the frustrations. You're an international social butterfly now, so live it up. I'd make a jewish joke about how everything is cheap, but I guess I've already gone and done that.....

Be well amigo

;kmnh said...

Haha man, maybe you should find some other way to do this... the last thing you need is to end up in a Chineese prison. I hope the next time I go to see the "Bodies" exhibit, I don't look at a figure and find myself saying "Boy, that guy looks familiar." And yea, believe me that smell is unmistakable. Anywhere food is, somehow that smell is too. And by the way, Harriet and Geof, I didn't teach your son about the strip clubs...