Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Chinese Food

I saw this commercial in America right before I left where this girl said "The general rule is, if you don't know what it is, don't eat it." I think she was talking about fast food or something. But if I followed that rule here, I would most definitely starve. There aren't as many McDonalds' here as I would have thought. Surprisingly, there are KFC's EVERYWHERE! Chinese like chicken still on the bone because it seems fresher. I guess I can see where they're coming from. There are also a lot of Pizza Huts, but they are done up real fancy like. You have to dress up and comb your hair to go there. Only the rich can afford it, and yet it's the same crap pizza. On the same token, I went to the Chinese version of fast food and the dish I got was exactly like you would get in one of our Chinese restaurants in America. So I guess we're even.

I like Chinese food, especially the stuff where it's like a noodle or a rice bun and there's something inside. Since I rarely know what kind of meat I'm ordering, it's a surprise every time! When I went out with the Korean lot, we went to this place where we had various kinds of meat on sticks. One round came out and "Victor" said to me "try it, and then I'll tell you what it is." And I said "absolutely!" and dug in. It turned out to be goat hamstring. I thought it taisted a bit chewey.

On a final note, when eating dinner with Lance, he ordered like 4 different dishes for the 2 of us, and together, we finished like one and a half. He said that people in Shanghai have bigger eyes than stomaches. Eating with the Koreans again, I discovered that when eating at someone's house, to finish your plate is considered rude. You should leave a little so you don't seem like a begger. So the next time I don't finish my food, and someone says, "there are starving children in China that would love to eat your leftovers," I will say, "Oh yea well I've been there and aparently they do the same thing!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

While you were away I filled in your spot and I came over to Dartmouth and ate dinner with D and Mike. I finished all of my dinner. I think that's why D gave me a dollar when i left.

rachel said...

hey sry for getting back to you so late mr.ma =)looks like ur having a really good time so far pretty cool place to venture around lol.r u doing to school every day now wat class r u taking?did u go get a phone yet?

Brian said...

Gemcor does business with some companies in Mainland China. I have heard some fun stories about the food there. My father keeps a few packets of Tuna Fish in his suitcase just in case. Once you get into the rural areas you probably don't want to know what your eating. Keep a healthy supply of antacids on you.

Heidi said...

keep posting Gabe! I enjoy reading your blogs. hehe.
I hope you be safe and have lots of fun!!