Monday, February 25, 2008

The Number 88

So 8 is a lucky number in China. Don't ask me why. The reason is kinda dumb. Remember this, I'll come back to it later. So my roommate's friends come to visit on Thursday night. All Korean. 2 speak about as much English as my roomate. The other's name is "Victor." Not only does he speak English, but he asked me what I think of Obama's politics vs. Hilary's. He also asked me if I saw the Manning Tyree pass in the 4th quarter and when we were discussing CHinese etiquite, he said, "When in Rome..." I asked him to please continue.

So we go out to a club in Shanghai called BonBon. This place was ridiculous. 88rmb (lucky number) covers your admission. That's like $10. This includes a table in kindof a private room, a big dance room for people who want to be social, a DJ who plays American hip hop and actually knows the words, and OPEN BAR ALL NIGHT. Not crap liquor either (or at least in not-crap bottles). Here's the beauty of Chinese open bar (not that there isn't beauty in every open bar), Chinese people don't drink so much so there's NEVER ANYONE AT THE BAR! Westerners are the main partygoers in China so the clubs make these deals to get the locals to partake. Result: the Westerners abuse the shit out of the deals and the locals have to be carried out after 4 drinks. Everyone on the dance floor loved me cuz I can cut a Persian and I knew all the words to all the songs. Another use for a useless talent. BTW there were fireworks going off ALL NIGHT. Beautiful.

Saturday night I met up with a bunch of Aussies, a few Brits, an American and a Scot to go to an Indian buffet. Again, for 88rmb, all you can eat, and again, ALL YOU CAN DRINK (but this only applies to beer). Not so bad though. When everyone finished our first plate, they were just sitting there. I asked if there was some etiquite (sp?) I didn't know about when it comes to getting more food. The American said "no, but the place doesn't close until 11:30 so we're pacing ourselves. I looked at my watch, and it was only 7:30. So this is how you're supposed to eat at a buffet with free beer... After that, we went over to a Pub called the British Bulldog, watched soccer and rugby and played free pool. Aparently all bar pool tables are free in China.

On the walk back to the Metro, I started to get my bearings because the pub, the Indian buffet, club Bonbon and the bar I went to on my birthday last week are all a 5 minute walk from each other. I think I found my neighborhood!

1 comment:

Andrew Levine said...

sounds like a fine place sir. glad to hear you haven't lost momentum.