Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Moca, The Rosa, and the Nib

Brian Yin is back in Shanghai! Brian is a local Shanghainese friend of mine, studying at the University at Buffalo. He is also a Newly Inducted Brother of Delta Sigma Pi, and boy am I glad to see him! So after synagogue on Friday night, we hear about this party on the top floor of the Museum of Contemporary Art. I meet up with Brian in People’s Square and we head on over with a few other friends. It was pretty sweet, I guess exactly what you would expect a party at the top of an art museum to be like. Toby, you would have liked this one…

Anyway, we decide quickly that it’s too loud so me and Brian (sporting his shiny new traditional black DSP shirt) head on out to a bar called Barbarosa where it’s A LITTLE quieter so we can sit and talk. Everything’s cheaper in China, except the bars. Beers were like over $7 a pop, and that’s the cheapest drink. After the drinks, on our way home, we stop at this Chinese place for dinner. I let Brian do the ordering cuz it’s still very hard for me to order in Chinese. He asks “do you like shrimp?”

“Of course I like shrimp”

“How about raw shrimp?”

“Def not.”

Magic words: “It’s just like sushi”

That’s all he had to say. So the dish comes out, and they uncap it. The fucking things are swimming around in the bowl! I’m like, “Holy shit dude! You said raw, not ALIVE!”

He then says, “Oh, you want to wait until they’re dead?”

Apparently they were soaked in alcohol and were slowly dying. Consumer has the option of waiting till they slowly die, or putting them out of their misery. We had to recap the dish, cuz they were jumping out of the bowl and squirming around on the table. I actually jumped outta my chair and stood back like a little girl who sees a spider. Unfortunately, I wussed out and did not partake, but had a hell of a time watching Brian do it up. He apologized for scaring me and I said, no problem. It’s times like this that make the adventures more adventurous. He then says, “hey at least now you have something to write about in your blog…”

Brian, if you’re reading this, It’s gonna be a crazy month! Jonny Chan of the Rhos (f’sho!), Rachel Ooyang of the Sigmas, and J Klock of the Taus are also going to be in Shanghai real soon. Like I said, it’s gonna be a crazy month. It’s the AK Movement!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I read it and I laughed so hard... man, ur blog has the magic of turning little interesting thing into something that is absolutely hilarious.

Dann Ryan said...

Little, it's good to see you are still alive and kicking it. Nice to see those DSP connections paying off too. If you ever make your way back to NYC, I'll have one of our finest $7 beers waiting for you. (I think that's like a Bud Light)