Sunday, June 1, 2008

Big Brother is Always Watching

I would like to start out by publically announcing that CHRIS PASCONE STILL HAS NOT READ George Orwell’s 1984. Dude it’s like 150 pages! It’ll take you an afternoon if you’re not an idiot! So anyway, it’s funny how Americans have this view of communism (largely based off this book and McCarthyism). Everywhere I go, I see video cameras. In like every hall in every building. This ordinarily wouldn’t be such a big deal for me, but the scary thing is that I have yet to see a monitor.

At around 4 o’clock every day, speakers (which are laid out all around campus) start blasting. I don’t really know what they are saying cuz it’s usually just a woman speaking Chinese that I still don’t understand. Some friends of mine said that it’s like the news either concerning Shanghai, China or our school, but when I’m alone, all I hear is “Our troops are pushing forward on the Eurasian front. The price of Chocolate has dropped 50% to $100 a kilogram. This month’s quota for steel workers…”

No comments: