Sunday, June 1, 2008

The “Gabe” Burger

There’s this restaurant right around the corner called Sarah’s. I’m a big fan because it has relatively cheap relatively good tasting “western” food. There are sandwiches and stuff. I go there a lot cuz it’s a 3 minute walk from my dorm room. They are the most “catering to Westerners” restaurant in the area with the exception of McDonalds down the road. Their menu has every item translated into English. The problem is, like most English everywhere in Shanghai, it’s all wrong. Normally this wouldn’t bother me, but I go there enough to justify the next paragraph.

One day I asked the owner of the restaurant (Sarah) if she wants me to correct their menu for them. Of course she did so we sat down and had like 3 meetings where me and her and Howie discussed how to word the menu items in a more sexy-like manor. Like “fruit salad over watermelon with a hint of house red” and such. I didn’t ask them to pay me. I just wanted them to have a correct menu. Oh and we also asked them to name some dishes after us.

So now if you ever go to Shanghai, stop into Sarah’s Café and be sure to get the “Gabe Burger” or “Howie’s Bacon and Egg Bun.” They’re both really quite delicious!

No comments: