Sunday, June 1, 2008

A L’Annee Prochaine a Jerusalem

So Passover was a great time. It wasn’t like I’m used to though. Every Jew is Shanghai was in one giant Banquet Hall and one Rabbi was directing the whole Ceder. Originally there were two Cedars: one in French and one in English. When I signed up, there was only room in the French one. After about 5 minutes, I snuck over to the one in English. It just seemed nicer. We were all together in the end anyway.

I have met a lot of French people here. There is a district of Shanghai that used to be French Owned and all the buildings are a different style of architecture. I also have a good friend named Emanuel who is French. He kind of reminds me of Emile, or maybe that’s just because his name is Emanuel. He helped me translate the title of this story (Next Year in Jerusalem).

I met another kid named Frank or George or something from France. We were talking about the price and quality of food here and how it compares to France and America. He says “Take McDonalds for example. If you were to order a Royale, wait, how do you guys call the Royale again?”

“Oh it’s a ‘Quarter Pounder. Yea we don’t use the metric system. Wait, what do you guys call a big Mac?”

“The Big Mac? That’s the same, but we call it le’Big Mac.”

“Oh yea? What about the Whopper?”

He saw Pulp Fiction, so he saw the humor in it as well.

No comments: