Monday, March 17, 2008

Ben

So there's another American here in a similar program named Ben. He is from Utah. He is one of the most American-looking people I have ever seen. We call him GI Joe. This means that he possibly sticks out more than I do. However, his Chinese is MUCH better than mine so he blends a little better. Funny story, When he told me he was from Utah, the first thing that went through my mind was that he was Mormon. I didn't say that out of fear of being rude. I later found out that when I told him I was from New York, the first thing that went through his mind was that I was Jewish, but he didn't ask out of fear of being rude. It turns out we were both right. But what a funny stereotype. Anyway I told him the name Ben means "son of the right hand" in Hebrew. Unfortunately it means "stupid" in Chinese. We do our best to make sure he doesn't forget that.

No comments: