Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Chinese Girlfriend part 2: The Creepy Other Girl

So needless to say, the date went well. Just kidding It SUCKED! Eighteen years old is hard, but doable, depending on the girl. Not speaking English is also hard, but also doable, also depending on the girl. But the two together made for a lethal combination. Not to mention there was this mentally disabled waitress who kept walking past my table eyeing me. But not in a good way. I would smile at her, but she would just keep staring. Creeped me out. Every now and then, she would come over to me during the meal, and say, "is the food good?" I would tell her every time it was delicious, but it got a little old after a while.

Oh, I forgot to tell you (surprise surprise), one good thing about this buffet and possibly all buffets here, is that there is an unmanned beer tap that is included in the price for the meal. All the free drinking made the date slightly doable, but about halfway through the date, the keg was kicked and I had no idea how to ask in Chinese for them to rekeg the tap. So no more beer, so the date got worse. It was kinda like God slapping me in the face like "HA, you found a loophole in the date from hell. Allow me to close that up for you! No I'm not going to make this any easier for you!"

After I finished eating, I waited like 10 more minutes for her to finish stuffing her face, and then we had to wait like 10 more minutes for her friend (the other girl) to get off work so they could walk home together. At this point, I was just glad to be rid of her. It took me like 20 minutes to finally say "okay. I'm going to gohome. Call me if you want to hang out again." In retrospect, I should have said I'll call you." Perhaps if I had used my "forehindsight"...

Anyway, on my walk home, so as not to make this night a complete loss, I decided to go into the mall to buy a money clip. i still keep my wallet in my front pocket here and the wallet is getting a bit bulky. So right when I get to the entrance of the mall, I get tapped on the shoulder. I turn around, and I have no idea who this girl is. I'm like "who are you?" and she's like "I'm the girl who waited tables at the restaurant that you just ate at. I asked you how your food was (like 8 times). Remember?" I'm like "oh yes. That's right. What's up? What can i do for you?" She just stared at me awkwardly and said "ok. Bye bye," and walked the other direction. Strange.

Anyway, I walk into the mall and I see a woman selling wallets and hair clips and that's it. I'm like "do you have anything like this, but also like this? LIke I want something that does what this does, only not that cuz i already have one. It also does what this does, only not to hair, to money." All this cuz I don't know how to say "money clip" in CHinese. Just when I'm about to give up, THE CREEPY WAITRESS GIRL COMES UP TO US! I thought she walked the other way! She is trying to diffuse the situation and offers to help me. I explain what i want to her and she says "Oh I definately know what you're talking about! Follow me!

So I follow her around the store, and she takes me to the stuffed animal section:
-They're really cute. Don't you think so?
-Um...sure?
-you want to buy me one?
-why would i want to buy you one?
-what? I don't understand.
-oh. Sorry. No. I don't want to buy you one.
-ok. No problem. Lets keep going.

I follow her around the store a little more and she takes me to THE WALLET AISLE! I'm like. yea I don't want these. If i did, i would have bougt one from the woman in the front of the store in the first place. I explained again what I wanted and she was like "oh. yea they don't have those here." I'm like great. Thank you for everything. She says:
-you wanna go get some dinner?
-um...i just ate dinner...at a buffet...at YOUR buffet...you watched me eat. You asked me how it was. remember?
-oh, ok. How about tomorrow?
-to tell you the truth, i'm pretty busy tomorrow
-oh, ok. see you tomorrow!
-[sigh] whatever, see you tomorrow.

Epilogue: I get a text message from her the next day. One of those other girls must have given her my number. Who does that? Anyway, it said, and I quote, and this WAS in English: "Do you sleeping played today of happy!" And I was like right on crazy girl..right on...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha epic story gabe. love your blog.

-mark

Ivan Cash said...

ahhahahah oh man what a classic gabe miller experience!